Gather the Ingredients and Equipment
Before you start making your calzone, make sure you have all the necessary ingredients and equipment ready. Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- Pizza dough
- Tomato sauce
- Cheese (mozzarella, ricotta, or a blend of both)
- Meat (pepperoni, sausage, ham, or any other preferred meat)
- Vegetables (mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, olives, etc.)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Rolling pin
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Pastry brush
- Knife or pizza cutter
Make sure you have everything on hand before you start making your calzone to ensure a smooth and hassle-free cooking experience.
Make the Dough and Let it Rise
To make the dough for your calzone, you can either use a store-bought pizza dough or make your own. Here’s a simple recipe to make your own pizza dough:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup of warm water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast.
- Add the warm water and olive oil to the bowl and mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with a damp cloth. Let it rise in a warm place for about an hour until it has doubled in size.
Once your dough has risen, you can start preparing your filling and assembling your calzone.
Prepare the Filling and Assembly
To prepare the filling for your calzone, you can use any combination of meat, vegetables, and cheese that you like. Here’s a simple recipe for a classic calzone filling:
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of cooked and crumbled sausage
- 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of sliced onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (218°C).
- On a floured surface, roll out the pizza dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Spread the tomato sauce over one half of the dough, leaving a border around the edge.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over the sauce.
- Add the cooked sausage, sliced mushrooms, and sliced onions on top of the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold the other half of the dough over the filling and press the edges together to seal.
- Brush the top of the calzone with olive oil and cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
Now your calzone is ready to bake!
Bake the Calzone to Perfection
Now that you’ve assembled your calzone, it’s time to bake it. Here are the steps to bake your calzone to perfection:
- Place the calzone on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the calzone from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Slice the calzone into wedges and serve with additional tomato sauce on the side, if desired.
Your calzone is now ready to be enjoyed!
Serve and Enjoy Your Homemade Calzone
Once your calzone is baked, it’s time to serve and enjoy it. Here are a few tips for serving your homemade calzone:
- Let the calzone cool for a few minutes before slicing it into wedges. This will prevent the filling from spilling out.
- Serve the calzone with a side of additional tomato sauce for dipping.
- Pair the calzone with a salad or other side dish for a complete meal.
- Enjoy the leftovers! If you have any leftover calzone, it can be reheated in the oven for a quick and easy meal later on.
Making a homemade calzone may seem intimidating, but it’s actually quite simple and fun. With these steps and tips, you’ll be able to make a delicious calzone right at home.